Clover Club

Friday, March 25, 2011

Pink and a touch sweet? Count me in! I've made sure we have all the ingredients we need for a Clover Club, since it's what I plan to sip tomorrow night at our housewarming party!


The Clover Club is a classic cocktail created in the 1880's; legend has it that the drink was named for a group of ramble rousers that tippled at the bar in the Bellevue-Stratford Hotel in Philadelphia. While the classic recipe calls for gin, raspberry syrup, lemon juice and egg white, John always adds a bit of dry vermouth to elevate this cocktail from the dredges of chick drinks.


Clover Club
1 1/2 oz of gin
3/4 oz of freshly squeezed lemon juice 3/4 oz of raspberry syrup
1/4 oz of dry vermouth
egg white

Combine all ingredients in a cocktail shaker; shake vigorously for 5-10 seconds. Then add ice and shake for 5-10 additional seconds; strain into a chilled cocktail glass.



Notes: John and I like Plymouth gin for damn near every cocktail in the book; its graceful botanical notes are a perfect blend in cocktails. If you don't have a bottle on hand, feel free to use whatever gin you have in your liquor cabinet.

Raspberry syrup from Small Hand Foods is about as good as it gets, but if you can't get your hands on a bottle of Jen's gum syrup, simply make up some of your own! This recipe from the New York Times is simple and succinct.


Photo c/o Small Hand Foods.

27 comments:

  1. It looks so pretty but I am so not a gin person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds delicious...i'm getting used to gin...if it's mixed with something complementary...you know?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Plymouth gin is the best :) I'm going to have to try this one out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. that drinks sounds delicious!!! have a great weekend and enjoy the party!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness. I've never been a gin drinker, but I could make an exception for anything with raspberries and egg whites. I love your cocktail selections! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love pink drinks, I am such a girly girl when it comes to cocktails!
    Have a great weekend, xo C.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never heard of the clover club before but it looks and sounds like it's quite a delicious drink!
    xoxo
    Olivia

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the colour of this drink...that on it's own would be enough to make me try it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds good to me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. ooooh it must be delicious if it has raspberry syrup in it. hope you have a lovely party tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  11. yum - usually dont like gin but with raspberry mixed in i bet its great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i've never had Plymouth gin..must try it

    ReplyDelete
  13. how fun! i hope the housewarming party goes well :) have a fantastic time! xoxo jcd :: cornflake dreams

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lena... we're having our house warming party this afternoon/evening!! Perhaps I need to whip up some of these delish cocktails!! We had a bbq planned with games on the lawn for all the kids etc but it's utterly miserable out there with no clearing on the horizon so we're just working out our wet weather plan!! Alcohol may well be the secret!! Enjoy your party!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks delicious! Plus with the egg white and lemon in there I think it counts as a healthy breakfast. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Clover Club!?
    The egg white has me nervous though! I have no idea what that would be like at all!
    Sounds like a good drink to relax with though! :)

    http://annawalker1992.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. looks like the perfect birthday drink!

    ReplyDelete
  18. i think since i started my job, somehow i have become a bit of a pink fan :)

    this drink looks and sounds yummy! definitely going to try.

    hope the housewarming party is fantastic.

    enjoy the weekend friend. xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. yes. it's friday! bottoms up, my friend. here's to a fab weekend!

    xo,
    carrie

    ReplyDelete
  20. The egg white is a more traditional cocktail element, but not nearly as scary as it sounds. Think about what happens to egg white when you whip the hell out of 'em-you get meringue. When you add a little to a cocktail, it gives it a beautiful top of foam, but doesn't change the taste or flavor at all.

    But if you're ever nervous, just skip the egg white!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm going to need to get my hands on some raspberry syrup!

    ReplyDelete
  22. yummmm! btw- loved your fishing story about your dad! I'm going to have to start using that one with the director! hehe fishing in LA I go! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Not a bit fan of gin but this one sure LOOKS good!
    Enjoy your weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sounds pretty perfect to me! Yes, please! xo

    ReplyDelete

 

A Crimson Kiss – Timeless Events and Classic Cocktails by Ana Degenaar : Blogger